Super Mario Bros. – In Super Mario Bros., players control Mario as he attempts to rescue Princess Peach from the Koopa villain Bowser. Mario must travel through a series of levels, defeating enemies and collecting power-ups, in order to reach Bowser’s castle.
Release Date: September 13, 1985
Console Availability: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Developer: Nintendo EAD
The game was a critical and commercial success, selling over 40 million copies worldwide. It is considered one of the greatest video games of all time.
- Super Mario Bros. was the first game to sell over 40 million copies worldwide.
- It was the first game to feature a level-based structure, with each level containing a unique challenge.
- It was the first game to feature a power-up system, which allowed players to increase Mario’s abilities.
- It was the first game to feature a save feature, which allowed players to continue their game from where they left off.
- Super Mario Bros. is considered one of the greatest video games of all time, and it has been credited with popularizing the platform genre.
- SMB was designed by Shigeru Miyamoto, who is also the creator of the Donkey Kong and Zelda franchises.
- The game was originally intended to be a sequel to Donkey Kong, but it was eventually decided to make it a new game with a new protagonist.
- Mario’s name was inspired by a plumber who worked in Nintendo’s offices.
- The game’s soundtrack was composed by Koji Kondo, who has also composed the music for many other popular Nintendo games.
- Super Mario Bros. has been remade and re-released several times, and it is still available to purchase for modern consoles.