Semi-Pro (2008) is an American sports comedy film directed by Kent Alterman in his directorial debut, written by Scot Armstrong, and produced by Jimmy Miller. It stars Will Ferrell, Woody Harrelson, André Benjamin and Maura Tierney, set during the final season of the American Basketball Association and telling the story of a fictional ABA team desperate to survive the league’s merger with the NBA. The film was shot in Los Angeles near Dodger Stadium (in the gym of the Los Angeles City Fire Department Training Center), in Detroit, and in Flint, Michigan.
Director: Kent Alterman is an American film director and producer. He is known for directing the films Semi-Pro (2008), The Hangover Part II (2011), and The Hangover Part III (2013).
Writer: Scot Armstrong is an American screenwriter and producer. He is known for writing the films Semi-Pro (2008), Old School (2003), and The Hangover (2009).
Release Date: Semi-Pro was released in the United States on February 19, 2008.
Domestic Box Office: Semi-Pro grossed $43.9 million in the United States and Canada, and $63.5 million worldwide, against a production budget of $50 million.
- The cast is excellent, with Will Ferrell giving one of his funniest performances.
- The film is a loving tribute to the ABA, and it captures the excitement and energy of the league perfectly.
- The film is funny, heartwarming, and ultimately inspiring.
- The film is a bit too long, and it could have used some tighter editing.
- The film’s ending is a bit too predictable.
Top 5 Cast
- Will Ferrell as Jackie Moon
- Woody Harrelson as Coach Rex
- André Benjamin as Ed Monix
- Maura Tierney as Lynn
- Will Arnett as Clarence
“I’m Jackie Moon, owner, coach, and star of the Flint Tropics!”
- Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times gave the film 3.5 out of 4 stars, calling it “a funny, affectionate look at the American Basketball Association.”
- Peter Travers of Rolling Stone gave the film 3 out of 4 stars, saying that it is “a rollicking good time.”
- Owen Gleiberman of Entertainment Weekly gave the film B+, saying that it is “a surprisingly sweet and sentimental sports comedy.”
- Lisa Schwarzbaum of Entertainment Weekly gave the film B, saying that it is “a mildly diverting sports comedy.”
- Michael Phillips of the Chicago Tribune gave the film 2.5 out of 4 stars, saying that it is “a cheerfully goofy but ultimately forgettable sports comedy.”
Cinematic Importance: Semi-Pro (2008) is a significant film because it is one of the few films to ever be made about the American Basketball Association. The film is a loving tribute to the league, and it captures the excitement and energy of the ABA perfectly. Semi-Pro is also a funny and heartwarming film, and it is sure to please fans of sports comedies.
Podcasts Movies PopCultureGeeky Gifts Technology TV Video Games Comedy Specials