I am a bit late to the party when it comes to Star Wars: The Force Awakens but it certainly is enough of a pop-culture phenom that I want to take some time to give it some love. For me this could have been renamed – Star Wars: The FanBoy Awakens!
First things first, I loved it. Unapologetically, Loved It! JJ knocked it out of the park and I was completely sold from the first notes of the score to the very end. I am by no means saying this is a perfect movie but it is a fun movie that will hopefully restart Star Wars Fandom for years to come.
There will be many more Star Wars pieces on This Geeks World but for a start I want to give a few reasons why I dig this movie and why it has become my fav in the series, even outstripping Empire (which is still a great film).
Five Reasons why it works:
And by the way – SPOILERS BELOW and Spoilers Be Damned
- Returning Cast – You can’t beat the cast members that returned. Han and Leia picked up where they left off. Kind of in love, kind of at opposition. There was always something there between Han and Leia. Knowing that they got together, had a kid (at least one), lost said kid to the Dark Side and then Han slipped back into his old ways. Just works. Of course, they could not have been happy together. Of course they would not have stayed together after Ben left them to follow his grandfather’s ways. They behave the way I would have expected them to behave. Add to that the acting chops and the credibility they lend to the new series and you have a reunion that has been in the works for years.
- Homage to A New Hope – A lot of people are pissed off at how closely this movie mirrors A New Hope – if not the whole first trilogy. Well no crap! Of course it does. There are times that this is a scene for scene remake of the 77 classic. There are times that you wonder if JJ had the movie playing while he wrote and re-wrote this one. That is the point, everyone. We had to reboot a franchise of movies that took it in the teeth for the prequels. This first movie had to be perfect, it had to bow deeply to the originals, the ones we love, the ones we watch over and over.
- New Characters – The new characters and cast are top notch. Good actors, good characters and good direction. You wanted Finn to win. You wanted Rey to win. You really wanted Poe to win. You even really wanted Kylo Ren to win. There was not a dud in the bunch. Again, they captured the feel and, for lack of a better word, fun of A New Hope. There was humor, there was hi-jinx and a lot of emotion.
- Kylo Ren – Say what you will but Kylo Ren is almost as good a bad guy as Vader. There I said it. Bring it on FanBoys. He brought the dark from a different angle. He is trying to be Vader but removed from him by 30 years. He is trying to live up to a name that has been tarnished and distorted with age. You can see the pain, suffering, want for place and any other emotion all over his face. There is also something to the reverse Vader that he portrays. Vader had a scarred face and a perfect mask. Ren had a scarred mask and a perfect face. When you add to all of this how strong he was in the force you have a truly dark nemesis for the Resistance. He fought two people at the end of the movie after taking an explosive bowcaster bolt to the gut. Truly strong in the force is this one.
- Star Killer Base – You can’t have a new star wars movie without a Death Star – nuff said.
I know that I probably just got your dander up, but I love Episode 7. It is my favorite now. It is an almost perfect Fantasy film set in a galaxy far, far away. We will talk about the fact that it is not sci-fi later…