Lego the World’s Largest Manufacturer – You’ll Never Guess Who the Leading Tire Manufacturer in the World Is. In fact you may not realize this but Lego the World’s Largest Manufacturer makes little blocks that we have all been playing with for years. As far as tires, it’s LEGO. That’s right Lego gained the title and set a Guinness World Record in 2012 by producing 318 million tires a year. That is more than 870,000 tires a day. They are made 24/7, 365 days a year.
The LEGO tire was first introduced in 1962. It was included in set number 400 and was the best selling set in 1967. Before that, some LEGO sets had premolded cars with the wheels attached. They added the tires separate to further expand the possibilities and imaginations of consumers. Since now more than 50% of their sets include tires of some sort the possibilities for building are endless. This makes Lego the World’s Largest Manufacturer.
Here are few more fun facts about the LEGO Company:
- The LEGO Group is a privately held, family-owned company with headquarters in Billund, Denmark, and main offices in Enfield, USA, London, UK, Shanghai, China, and Singapore. Founded in 1932 by Ole Kirk Kristiansen. It is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of play materials.
- LEGO products are on sale in 130 countries worldwide and more than 400 million children and adults will play with LEGO bricks each year.
- On average there are 62 LEGO bricks for every person on earth.
- Approximately seven LEGO sets are sold each second.
- Approximately 19 billion LEGO pieces are made every year in Billund, Denmark equivalent to about 2 million elements an hour or 36,000 a minute.
- If all LEGO sets sold in a year were stacked on top of each other, they would fill a football field to a height of 77.8 meters.
- If you laid them end to end, the number of LEGO bricks sold in a year would reach more than five times around the earth.
- Since BIONICLE figures first appeared in 2001, more than 150 million BIONICLE “beings” have been born. That’s more than the population of France and Britain put together.
- The eight robots and 15 automatic cranes that work in the LEGO warehouse in Billund can shift 660 crates of bricks in and out every hour.
- The world’s children spend 5 billion hours a year playing with LEGO bricks.
- In the manufacture of LEGO bricks the machine tolerance is as small as 0.002 mm.
- The LEGO Club has 2.4 million members worldwide.
- Approx. 400 billion LEGO elements have been manufactured since 1949.
- LEGO also holds the Guinness record for the tallest LEGO tower. It stands in Budapest, Hungary and is 114 feet tall. The obelisk tower soars in front of the city’s St. Stephen’s Basilica. It consists of more than 450,000 pieces and is topped with a Rubik’s cube. It was built by the school children there in an astonishing 5 days!
- Lego also has LEGOLAND theme parks in Denmark, Germany, England, Malaysia, and two in the U.S.A located in Florida and California.
I am proud to say that LEGO’s were a staple of mine when I was a child and my daughter’s as well. That is 40 years of history right there! I wish LEGO the best and hope they are around for generations to come. And I am sure that Lego will keep the titel of the world’s largest manfacturer.