Born April 23, 1977
Kal Penn roams this weird world between comedy and drama. He walks the edge between entertainment and public service. He has existed in different worlds and been successful. He is proof that while someone in Hollywood’s opinion isn’t better than anyone else’s it is still just as important. With Kal Penn, he knows what he is talking about – he has been there.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Buffy goes to college. She starts drinking beer with some college guys. The beer makes the college guys regress to be cavemen. Kal Penn is a caveman.
- Van Wilder – As Taj, Penn is under the tutelage of Ryan Reynolds. Reynolds tries to teach him how to rule the school.
- Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle – This is my fav of Penn’s work. He and John Cho are so amazing together. The whole movie is worth the scene at the end where they are actually eating at White Castle. No one has ever shown that much joy and triumph with food before.
- House – Big change for our comedian. He takes on one of the best medical dramas ever on TV.
- How I Met Your Mother – As part of this ensemble, he completely holds his own with a pack of strong personalities and never gets lost in the shuffle.
What I love about L.A. and Washington, D.C. is that they’re almost the opposite of each other. L.A. is a very creative space while D.C. is a very cerebral space. So, they’re the ying and the yang in my world. I like them both for their own reasons.