This movie is based on a true story about the life and careers of Ed and Lorraine Warren, a pair of paranormal investigators and demonologists. It is directed by James Wan and written by Chad Hayes and Corey Hayes. The film itself was 20 years in the making. Ed Warren took the original tapes to a producer who agreed to make it into a movie and it was picked up and dropped several times before finally being picked up by New Line Cinema. The Conjuring was released on July 19th 2013.
The movie cast starred Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson who played Ed and Lorraine Warren and they actually went to Connecticut to spend time with the Warrens to learn more about the roles they were to portray. Also in the film is Ron Livingston and Lili Taylor who play the parents of the afflicted family. Lorraine Warren herself has a short cameo in the film as well.
The movie starts with the Perron family moving into an old farmhouse in Harrisville, Rhode Island in 1971. Paranormal events start happening almost immediately and continue to plague the family almost daily. Once the attacks become more violent in nature Carolyn Perron (mother) decides to call in the Warrens for help. They find the house itself is home to a creature named Bathsheba who was an accused witch who murdered her child and later committed suicide on the property. All hell starts to ensue from this point forward and continue to the end of the film.
This is my favorite type of horror movie. No blood, guts and slashers just an awesome psychological thriller that pulls the audience in from the beginning and doesn’t let go to the very end. The film is very well made and the plot is terrifying. It makes you feel like you are there and experiencing it yourself. Of course, as I said I love this type of movie because to me this is something that you can believe actually happens.
So if you haven’t seen The Conjuring and are looking for a truly scary movie that will also make you think twice about dismissing the paranormal this is a must see. It also has the bones to make it worth watching more than once. I myself have watched it numerous times and it keeps getting better. I have picked up on several inconspicuous things that I missed every time I watch. I would definitely put it in the top 10 of my favorite horror flicks and if the paranormal is your cup of tea then I think you will to.
Oh, by the way, don’t miss the sequel “Annabelle”. It is just as good as the first.
[amazon_link asins=’B00G32TD98,B00FEX1AA2,B01KJXCGKO,B01GRU5CQS’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’thisgeeksworl-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’458299ee-f5ed-11e6-8771-d556be3a8991′]
Riki Lindhome is not a household name, but it should be.
Riki started her career as an actor on the stage in Tim Robbins “Embedded”. She then made her debut on the big screen as “Mardell Fitzgerald” in Clint Eastwood’s Million Dollar Baby (2004). She is best known though for her comedy. Particularly with her friend Kate Micucci as the duo of Garfunkel & Oates. Together they have put together 4 albums of some of the most irreverent songs ever heard and the first season of a sketch comedy of the same name on IFC (The Independent Film Channel).
The episodes are always based around a song they have written. They basically act out the song and then randomly insert it into the sketch.
Here is a list of just a few of my favorite songs:
To find out more about the pair visit their website at http://www.garfunkelandoates.com/
Riki has a quick wit and a way of articulating jokes that are on the risqué side that makes you stop and think, “Wait…Did she just say that?”. With that said, her brand of comedy may not be for everyone but she is one hilarious chick. She has been in many other movies, TV shows and has her own podcast that can be found on her home page http://www.rikilindhome.com/category/podcasts/
For me the best thing about Riki Lindhome is that I can hear her tell the same joke more than once and each time is different. The words might not be but the delivery and timing are right on every time. Another thing about her, and you will find this if you listen to her podcast, is that she is totally random in what she says and where she is, doesn’t matter. She has done a series of podcast from The Olive Garden Restaurant chain. She invites people to have a meal and then interviews them all the while you hear the interaction between them and the staff.
Riki Lindhome is a comedian that definitely deserves more face time on TV and the big screen. She brings a type of uplifting vibe with her that no one can deny. I believe that even the most down person could listen or talk with Riki and immediately a smile would come to their face.
So, if you don’t know who she is or if you are not familiar with Garfunkel & Oates please go to this YouTube link and start watching https://www.youtube.com/user/rikilind/videos
Believe me, you will be hooked!
Lego the World’s Largest Manufacturer – You’ll Never Guess Who the Leading Tire Manufacturer in the World Is. In fact you may not realize this but Lego the World’s Largest Manufacturer makes little blocks that we have all been playing with for years. As far as tires, it’s LEGO. That’s right Lego gained the title and set a Guinness World Record in 2012 by producing 318 million tires a year. That is more than 870,000 tires a day. They are made 24/7, 365 days a year.
The LEGO tire was first introduced in 1962. It was included in set number 400 and was the best selling set in 1967. Before that, some LEGO sets had premolded cars with the wheels attached. They added the tires separate to further expand the possibilities and imaginations of consumers. Since now more than 50% of their sets include tires of some sort the possibilities for building are endless. This makes Lego the World’s Largest Manufacturer.
Here are few more fun facts about the LEGO Company:
- The LEGO Group is a privately held, family-owned company with headquarters in Billund, Denmark, and main offices in Enfield, USA, London, UK, Shanghai, China, and Singapore. Founded in 1932 by Ole Kirk Kristiansen. It is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of play materials.
- LEGO products are on sale in 130 countries worldwide and more than 400 million children and adults will play with LEGO bricks each year.
- On average there are 62 LEGO bricks for every person on earth.
- Approximately seven LEGO sets are sold each second.
- Approximately 19 billion LEGO pieces are made every year in Billund, Denmark equivalent to about 2 million elements an hour or 36,000 a minute.
- If all LEGO sets sold in a year were stacked on top of each other, they would fill a football field to a height of 77.8 meters.
- If you laid them end to end, the number of LEGO bricks sold in a year would reach more than five times around the earth.
- Since BIONICLE figures first appeared in 2001, more than 150 million BIONICLE “beings” have been born. That’s more than the population of France and Britain put together.
- The eight robots and 15 automatic cranes that work in the LEGO warehouse in Billund can shift 660 crates of bricks in and out every hour.
- The world’s children spend 5 billion hours a year playing with LEGO bricks.
- In the manufacture of LEGO bricks the machine tolerance is as small as 0.002 mm.
- The LEGO Club has 2.4 million members worldwide.
- Approx. 400 billion LEGO elements have been manufactured since 1949.
- LEGO also holds the Guinness record for the tallest LEGO tower. It stands in Budapest, Hungary and is 114 feet tall. The obelisk tower soars in front of the city’s St. Stephen’s Basilica. It consists of more than 450,000 pieces and is topped with a Rubik’s cube. It was built by the school children there in an astonishing 5 days!
- Lego also has LEGOLAND theme parks in Denmark, Germany, England, Malaysia, and two in the U.S.A located in Florida and California.
I am proud to say that LEGO’s were a staple of mine when I was a child and my daughter’s as well. That is 40 years of history right there! I wish LEGO the best and hope they are around for generations to come. And I am sure that Lego will keep the titel of the world’s largest manfacturer.